Follow these tips:
Search the free Web:
- Look for architects' firm web sites, active architecture blogs, etc. Look for documentation from credible sources, not student work or random postings. Just be sure to try other sources too.
Search for books and e-Books:
- CMU Libraries: Books & More
Use the library's <Books & More> search to find books and e-Books in CAMEO, Carnegie Mellon's library catalog.
Search for articles:
- CMU Libraries: Articles & More
Use the library's <Articles & More> search to identify articles that have been published in a variety of scholarly and popular journals and other sources. Carnegie Mellon University Libraries may or may not have access to these articles. Use the button to try to determine if Carnegie Mellon has access to electronic or print versions the article; or ask for help with finding articles.
Search for articles in architecture databases:
Use <Ebscohost> to search multiple architecture databases at one time. Select the <Art & Architecture Source> and <Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals> boxes. Click CONTINUE.
Use these databases to identify articles that have been published in art and architecture journals. Carnegie Mellon University Libraries may or may not have access to these articles. Use the button to try to determine if Carnegie Mellon has access to electronic or print versions the article; or ask for help with finding articles.
Some of the best journals for this assignment are: 2G, A+U Architecture and Urbanism, Casabella, El Croquis, Domus, and GA Houses.
Issues of El Croquis can also be accessing by browsing in the El Croquis Digital Library.
Search Reference Resources:
- Clark, Roger H., and Michael Pause. Precedents in Architecture: Analytic Diagrams, Formative Ideas, and Partis. 4th ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2012.
HUNT FA-REF-4 NA2750 .C55 2012
- Davies, Colin. Key Houses of the Twentieth Century: Plans, Sections and Elevations. New York: W.W. Norton, 2006.
HUNT FA-REF-4 NA7126 .D38 2006
HUNT MUS-OFC-4 NA7126 .D38 2006 DISC
- Dunster, David. Key Buildings of the Twentieth Century. New York: Rizzoli, 1985. Vols. 1 & 2.
HUNT FA-REF-4 NA680 .D86 1985
- Kurrent, Friedrich. Scale Models: Houses of the 20th Century. Boston; Basel; Berlin: Birkhäuser, 1999.
HUNT FA-REF-4 NA7125 .R3813 1999
- Weston, Richard. Key Buildings of the Twentieth Century: Plans, Sections, and Elevations. New York: W.W. Norton, 2004.
HUNT FA-REF-4 NA7125NA2705 .W44 2004
HUNT MUS-OFC-4 NA2705 .W44 2004 DISC