This page provides guidance on investigating a building site or a neighborhood for an architectural or urban design project. It focuses on Pittsburgh sites and resources, but similar resources may exist for sites in other municipalities.
- BestPlaces.net: Climate Profiles
A user-friendly source for weather data, including temperature, precipitation, and wind, for U.S. and worldwide locations.
- Northeast Regional Climate Center
With links to national data.
- Pennsylvania State Climatologist
Climate data for Pittsburgh and other Pennsylvania locations.
- Sun Path Chart Program (University of Oregon)
Produce sun angle charts for any U.S. location. Read the About Sun Charts link for background information.
For a Pittsburgh, enter zip code, or latitude (40 degrees) and longitude (-80 degrees), and solar time zone (-5h).
- Naval Oceanography Portal: Data Services
A wide variety of sun and moon data.
- Weather America: A Thirty-Year Summary of Statistical Weather Data and Rankings. 3rd edition. Amenia, NY: Grey House Publishing, 2011.
E&S STACKS QC983 .W385 2011
- Wind Rose Data (Natural Resources Conservation Center)
Month-by-month wind data for numerous U.S. locations including Pittsburgh.
Community Planning and Development
Search for or recent current owners of properties in Pittsburgh and Allegheny County using this web site:
Zoning laws specify how the property within municipalities may be utilized. Zoning resources for the City of Pittsburgh: