Preliminary Exchange of Information with the Library
- Place items the entire class will be using on reserve to give students equal access to materials that are required or suggested for class use.
- Contact the liaison librarian in your college or department before creating the assignment. The liaison can recommend appropriate databases and other resources.
- Provide your liaison with a copy of the syllabus, assignment or the link to the class page information.
Creating the Assignment
- Search the library catalog to be certain the materials are available.
- Provide a resource list or recommendations for sources.
- Make sure the assignment is clear, unambiguous, easy to read, and not wordy.
- Explain the purpose of the assignment.
- Specify which style manual should be used, if applicable.
- Break the assignment into steps, parts, or stages.
- Do the assignment yourself, to make sure it works and that the students have enough time to complete it.
And finally, please encourage your students to ask for assistance during the early stages of their research.