Last Updated: Dec 9, 2014
lists sources for datasets comprising long time periods, to use in your research or coursework
- International Financial Statistics
(from the IMF) - thousands of data points on international finance, including balance of payments, liquidity, money and banking, exchange rates, interest rates, prices, production, transactions, national accounts, and population. You'll need to register, and then sign in each time, in order to download data.
- OECD iLibrary
data for many countries on: economics, energy, development, education, environment, employment, patents, R&D, finance, governance, agriculture, industry, science, social expenditures, trade, transportation, and more.
- Mergent Online Economics
over 1000 economics datasets covering retail, housing, trade, commodities, banking, energy, industry and other indicators
- World dataBank
(from the World Bank) - annual country data from 1960. You will first choose your country, then your “series” (choose from 869 variables; expand the categories to see them all) , and then your time frame; ultimately you'll get a spreadsheet that you can download; mapping is also an option.
- Data-Planet Statistical Datasets
- EIU (Economist Intelligence Unit) reports in the ProQuest database
Look down the list for the most recent (not in order.) Download the spreadsheet: 368 variables, covering 1980 to the present.
a uniform web interface to current and historical datasets in finance, marketing, economics and banking, from multiple sources. Some of those are: Standard & Poor’s Compustat, ComScore, the Center for Research in Security Prices (CRSP,) Mergent, Dow Jones, the Federal Reserve, and the Chicago Board of Options Exchange.
- Social Explorer
visual and numerical presentation of U.S. census data and a wide range of demographic information, 1790 – present. Creates maps and reports at levels from national to block group.
Wolfram|Alpha generates output by doing computations from its own internal knowledge base, which includes significant economic data.
- Enter a word (i.e. GDP, imports) here:
- market, industry, company, and demographic stats from more than 70 countries
- data-centered reports and dossiers, fully downloadable, various formats
- Over 18,000 worldwide sources, including Experian and Nielsen
- academic citation standards with full-publication rights
- amazingly easy to use
- please send comments to email@example.com - we need feedback to subscribe