If you're looking for scholarly studies of German history, literature or culture, start with our Carnegie Mellon University Libraries catalog, or browse other libraries.
To find general reference sources, start with our Online Reference Shelf to find online collections of reference sources on every subject and in every language.
See also the German, Austria and Switzerland research guide by Sue Collins, CMU History Liaison.
Biographical Sources (literary and non-literary):
- Arbeitsgemeinschaft Sammlung Deutscher Drucke is an initiative by 6 collaborating libraries to reconstruct a national bibliography that will cover the German prints from the beginning of printing to the present
- Autorinnen und Autoren is a service maintained by the Library of the Free University of Berlin which provides bio-bibliographic information on thousands of German authors, including links to reference and online resources
- Biographie-Portal to search Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB), Neue Deutsche Biographie (NDB), Österreichisches Biographisches Lexikon 1815-1950 (ÖBL), and Historisches Lexikon der Schweiz (HLS)
- Daten der deutschen Literatur: Provides biographies and facts about numerous German speaking authors. Along with chronologies of key moments in their lives, a list of their works is given, which is divided into areas such as radio plays, novels, theatrical works, essays, and short stories
- Deutsche Biographie combines the ADB (Allgemeine deutsche Biographie) and the NDB (Neue deutsche Biographie)
- Online Lexikon Literaturwissenschaft: This website is a satellite of www.literaturkritik.de and is based on a compilation of key literary terms and concepts developed by the Universities of Munich and Marburg. Entries are grouped and searchable by literary genre, name of author, and work title.
- World Biographical Information System (WBIS) Online is the most comprehensive biographical database available, providing short biographical information on over 6 Million people from the 8th century B.C. to the present. Included are 8.4 Million digital facsimile articles from biographical reference works. Access to digitized articles is subscription based
Literary Reference Tools:
- Kritisches Lexikon zur deutschsprachigen Gegenwartsliteratur (KLG): A standard database for literature published in German after 1945. It contains biographical information on more than 600 contemporary authors writing in German, including synoptical overviews of their works, essays on each individual author, theater performances, translations, radio performances, movies & cabaret performances based on the works, audiobooks, and interviews with authors
- Kürschners Deutscher Literatur-Kalender: One of the most comprehensive indexes of contemporary German literature. Provides information on German-speaking authors, as well as numerous literary institutions.
- Kindlers Literatur-Lexicon: The online version of Kindler's Literatur Lexikon (KLL), the most comprehensive German-language encyclopedia of world literature. It covers 13,000 important works, from the earliest writings of mankind to the present.