Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Adding Files to Mendeley
Export references directly from other Elsevier products such as Science Direct or Scopus to Mendeley by:
- When reading an article click the export button then choose "Save to Mendeley"
Note: To export references from other databases, use Mendeley's web importer.
Install the Mendeley Web Importer -- Install the Web Importer into your favorite web browser to import references and documents academic databases.
Save articles to your Mendeley Library as you browse.
You can add files to Mendeley by:
- Dragging and dropping a pdf into Mendeley
- You can also add files by selecting file and then clicking add files or folder.
- Another way to add files is by selecting file and then clicking "watch folder" to choose a folder to put on watch. Mendeley Desktop will now automatically add files that are added to that folder.
Manage Your References
Mendeley Desktop is a reference manager that allows you manage, read, share, annotate and cite your research papers.
You can download Mendeley Desktop here.
You can also manage your references in the Mendeley Web Library, which allows you to access the items in your Mendeley library from any web browser. You can achieve many of the core Mendeley features (such as uploading new references, reading papers, highlighting and annotating) from any device with internet access, without the need to install any software.
Read and Annotate your PDFs
You can edit PDFs that have been added to your Mendeley Library. You can do this by double clicking to open the file in a seperate tab within Mendeley Desktop. You now have the option to:
- Highlight text in multiple colors
- Add sticky notes to specific locations
- Make document-widevnotes
- Search within Text