Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Patent documents contain the complete details of new inventions. Why search them?
- watch new technologies emerge
- determine whether your invention is unique
- find solutions to your technical problems
- get a preview of what your competitors are developing
- assess potential sources for mergers and acquisitions, or research partnerships.
- uncover the vast amount of technical and scientific information only available in patent publications
Multi-country patent searching sites
Searches patents from United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), the European Patent Office (EPO), and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). For more accuracy, do an advanced search here
Searches 46 million international patent documents and patent applications. Has some coverage not available elsewhere; 10 languages and a translation feature. Official patent site of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO.)
Searches 90 million published patent applications and granted patents from over 90 patent-granting authorities worldwide. Official site of the European Patent Office. Has patent translate feature.
Basic reading for inventors