WHAT IS IT? ....
Record of procedures, data, thoughts, explanations, experiment results, prototype drawings, calculations.
- Considered to be a legal document: prove intellectual property
- Starting point for a thesis or a publication.
- Provides evidence, path, knowledge for future research(ers)
(Some) Best Practices for Maintaining Your Notebook
- Make entries every day you work on your prototype/invention; daily entries assist your thinking & understanding of your progress
- Writing & drawings/diagrams should be neat and legible: others many have to read your work.
- Entries must be chronological. No jumping around between pages.
- No pages should be torn out or thrown away.
- If mistakes are made, do not erase; run a line through all the parts that are not relevant and/or cross out the diagram.