As you use each source, look for citations in bibliographies and footnotes that will lead you to other sources. If you find references to items that Carnegie Mellon does not own they may be requested through Interlibrary Loan if you allow a week or more.
- CMU Libraries: Everything
Use the library's <Everything> search to find books and eBooks and more.
- CMU Libraries: Books & More
Use the library's <Books & More> search to find books and eBooks in CAMEO, Carnegie Mellon's library catalog.
Find books and more in library collections around Pittsburgh, the country, and the world. Worldcat acts as a massive bibliography of published materials.
Find books and more at University of Pittsburgh Libraries. Pitt’s Frick Fine Arts Library is the best regional collection of art history materials.
You may also want to browse for books. Try these call number ranges on the second and fourth floors in Hunt Library:
- DE : History - Greco-Roman Wold
- DF1-241 : History - Ancient Greece
- DG1-365 : History - Ancient Italy
- DR - History : Ancient Turkey
- DS1-326 : History - Ancient Near East
- DT43-70 : History - Ancient Egypt
- N5330-5899 : History - Ancient Art
- NA210-NA340 : History - Ancient Architecture
- NB69-169 - History : Ancient Sculpture
Use article databases and related tools to look for articles. Article databases give citation information (i.e. author, title, journal name, date, etc.) about articles in periodicals, and may include the full-text of an article.
Use <Ebscohost> to search multiple architecture databases at one time. Select the <Art & Architecture Source> and <Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals> boxes. Click CONTINUE.
Art & Architecture Source
An excellent index to art journals and selected architecture journals. Includes some citations that the Avery Index misses, and features many full text articles. Select <Choose Databases> and check <Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals> box for a more complete search.
- Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals
The most extensive index to articles in architecture journals. Use the "Advanced Search" mode for more flexible online searching. Select <Choose Databases> and check <Art & Architecture Source> box for a more complete search.
Bibliography of the History of Art (BHA) and Répertoire de la litterature de l'art (RILA)
Covers western art (including architecture and archeology) from late antiquity to the present. Includes articles, some books, conference proceedings and dissertations, and exhibition catalogs.
Database of citations and abstracts to journals articles, book reviews, and dissertations in the areas of history, anthropology, political science, religion, etc. for all countries except the United States and Canada, from 1450 to the present.
Provides access to back issues of many scholarly journals and more.
Access to current full-text articles in humanities and social sciences journals.
- 18th Century Collections Online
Contains 150,000 books published during the 18th century in the fields of history, literature, religion, law, fine arts, science and more. These titles may also be found by searching Cameo.
- Arnold, Dieter. The Encyclopedia of Ancient Egyptian Architecture. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2003.
HUNT FA-REF-4 NA215 .A74513 2003
A digital image library that includes thousands of images of art, architecture, and archaeology.
- Encyclopedia of Archaeology: Histories and Discoveries
- Encyclopedia of Sculpture. 3 vols. New York and London: Fitzroy Dearborn, 2004.
HUNT FA-REF-4 NB198 .E53 2004
- Grove Encyclopedia of Classical Art & Architecture
HUNT FA-REF-4 N5610 .G76 2007 N5610 .G76 2007
- Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History (Metropolitan Museum of Art)
- Oxford Art Online
An illustrated, encyclopedic work containing 45,000 articles with bibliographies, written by more than 6,800 international scholars on all aspects of the visual arts from prehistory to the present day.
- Pedley, John Griffiths. Greek Art and Archaeology. New York: H.N. Abrams, 1993.
HUNT STACKS-4 DF130 .P44 1992
- Richardson, Lawrence. A New Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1992
HUNT FA-REF-4 DG68 .R5 1992
- Traulos, Ioannes N. Pictorial Dictionary of Ancient Athens. New York: Praeger, 1971.
HUNT FA-REF-4 NA280 .T68
These books will be examined in one of your classes.
- Gibbs, James. Rules for drawing the several parts of architecture, in a more exact and easy manner than has been heretofore practised, by which all fractions, in dividing the principal members and their parts, are avoided. London: W. Innys, 1753.
HUNT SPEC-RBF-4 NA2841 .G5
- Pain, William. The practical house carpenter; or, Youth's instructor; containing a great variety of useful designs in carpentry and architecture ... To which is added a list of prices for materials and labour, labour only, and day prices. London: Printed for J. Taylor,1799.
HUNT SPEC-RBS-4 NA2515 .P3
- Haviland, John. The builder's assistant: containing the five orders of architecture, selected from the best specimens of the Greek and Roman, with the figured dimensions of their height, projection, and profile, and a variety of mouldings, modillions & foliage ... with working drawings, shewing their method of construction ... . 3 vols. Philadelphia: John Bioren, 1818-1821.
HUNT SPEC-RBS-4 TH145 .H35 1818