Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Much critical writing and new scholarship about architecture is published in articles. Articles are frequently the best source of information on individual buildings and on research topics in architectural technology.
Search research databases to find citation information (i.e. author, title, journal name, date, etc.) for articles. Some article databases include full-text articles. Most databases are specialized by discipline. See a list of architecture research databases.
Search for Articles
Use Everything or Articles & More to find articles in a wide variety of scholarly and popular sources. Refine your search using the filters in the left hand column. For best results, and for in-depth and disciplinary research, also search specific databases.
Search for Journals & Newspapers
Search by journal title at Journals & Newspapers to see if Carnegie Mellon has print or online access.
Search for Articles in Databases for Related Disciplines
Use research databases to search for articles in architecture and other fields. For many additional databases see Databases, eResources, & Tools.
Tips for Finding Articles
- Try Advanced Search interfaces for more flexible searching that may lead to better results.
- Try various terms when searching for information on a topic.
- For example, terms related to computation in architecture include CAD, CAAD, Computer-Aided Design, Computer-Aided Architectural Design, Architectural Design--Data Processing, Architecture--Data Processing, and "Architectural CAD."
- When you find a citation to an article, note the journal title, the volume number and date of the issue that you need, and the page numbers of the article. Some databases list this information in a Source field.
- Look for a link or a pdf for full text online access to an article.
- Carnegie Mellon may not own an article that you need. Request such articles through ILLiad (interlibrary loan).
- Ask for assistance as needed.
Open Access Architecture Journals